Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Straw that Broke the Llama's Back

I have always been obsessed with animals.  I was excited when mice got in the house, delighted when I saw seagulls circling the trash at the dump, and overjoyed when "french fry birds" harassed me at McDonald's.  Unfortunately, animals have not always loved me back.  I am about to reveal a highly disturbing story to you...brace yourselves.

When I was little, I was attacked by a llama.  I remember toddling around a petting zoo with my parents and grandparents (Gaga and Papa).  While attempting to pet a baby chicken that was walking around, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.  I specifically remember, saying "Look, a camel."  I guess this was the straw that broke the llama's back.

The allure of the "camel" quickly wore off and I turned around to go try and touch more animals.  The llama reached his head through the fence and grabbed me by the back of my OshKoshes.  He proceeded to try and pull me into the fenced in area.  As he was slamming my little body into the fence, Gaga ran over and wedged her body in between me and fence to soften the blows.  The attack ended when Papa punched the llama in the face.  I walked away unscathed, but with a fear of llamas.  I am sure my parents were terrified.

In all seriousness, they are a pretty dangerous animal.  Llamas are used to protect herds from intruders, like wild dogs.  Phillip, a llama that belonged to a neighbor tried to attack our Silky Terrier, Shaq, once...but that's a whole other story.  Personally, I don't think that something that is supposed to maim and kill small animals in order to protect a herd should live in a petting zoo for children (aren't children small animals?).

Baby Ethan visited the zoo for the first time two days ago.  I was happy to see that there were no llamas there.  If I can teach Ethan anything, I hope it is to never turn your back on a llama and know your animals.  They may be insulted when you mistake them for a camel.


I don't trust that smiling llama for one second!

No comments:

Post a Comment