Thursday, April 26, 2012

Preppy Parenting Reminder

I had a great day today.  I met my nephew (who made a very dramatic entrance into the world two weeks early in his father's car...which I realize would make a more interesting blog post than the one I am writing, but it's not my story to tell).  After that, it was time to buy the newest Wirt boy gifts.  I picked up some little things for him from the Williamsburg Outlets.  After I finished walking my ginormous self (10 weeks to go!) all over that place, I went to my car to leave.

As I was pulling out of the shopping center, I spotted the Ralph Lauren Polo Outlet.  I parked and hoped that I would find some matching outfits for my little people.  I was successful, but that was not the highlight of my Polo experience.



I walked through the check-out maze and prepared myself to answer questions about my due date, the sex of my future child, and if I had chosen a name.  The check-out guy looked giddy as I walked up, which made me particularly hesitant.  As I handed him my two tiny navy blue purchases, he said, "We found out what we're having today."  He then explained that he and his wife were keeping the sex of their baby a secret from friends and family, but he thought it would be ok if he told me.  He could barely contain his excitement when he told me.  His secret is safe with me.

He may have told the next customer the same thing, but something tells me he didn't.  He even whispered the gender to me so his co-workers wouldn't hear.  It was a really touching moment.  That man is in love with his 20 week old baby-to-be and his excitement was contagious.

Being pregnant is not fun.  However, today it was.  I was reminded of how lucky I am to get the opportunity to be a parent.  So, thank you little nephew and future daddy in the Polo Outlet....you are what life is all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment