Friday, September 14, 2012

Hamsters Love Diberts

Now that I am a mother of two babies under the age of two, I literally have no time to do anything (especially write a blog).  So, instead of showering, brushing my teeth, or working I have decided to take a time-out and reflect on a few life lessons I have learned over the past few weeks.
  • If you've been pregnant for 20 months of the last three years, you can't just jump back into drinking.  Sadly, I learned this lesson at my brother's rehearsal dinner.  Red wine and I seemed to be getting along really well, but then things took an ugly turn.  Thank you to my family and friends for nursing me back to health and allowing me to enjoy Christian and Meredith's wedding.  Not to get too mushy, but it was a wonderful weekend and I feel very lucky to have a new Mr. and Mrs. Dibert in my life.
  • People who hit and run have no shame.  The other day I was sitting at a red light and the person behind me was too busy putting on her make-up to realize that she had taken her foot off the break.  She bumped me.  When the light turned green, I pulled into McDonald's (where I was headed anyway for breakfast) and pulled into a parking spot to discuss the incident.  To my surprise, the woman kept driving...right on through the drive through.  Not only did she hit my car, but she took my place in the drive through line.  Luckily there was no damage.  I hope they messed up her order.
  • Gangnam Style.  This video makes everything better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0.  I don't know whether my friends and I should be proud or ashamed that we were watching this weirdness months before it was on The Today Show or Ellen.
  • If you get a spray tan, you can do anything!  I think spray tans have magical powers that make you more confident.  I blame spray tan for making me think it was ok to wear a bikini nine weeks after having a baby.  I later saw pictures of myself in a bathing suit and regret the decision.
  • Hamsters love Diberts and Diberts love hamsters. Thank you to Kelly Hughes for her words of wisdom. This phrase summed up the reasoning behind the gift she gave Little Ethan. He was the proud recipient of a stuffed hamster and coordinating book. You know that you've known someone a long time when they can recount your family's love affair with hamsters. Who can forget our first round of hamsters...
    • Katie - my hamster who escaped days after we got them for Christmas.  Her lookout tower mysteriously broke after Christian was playing with it....clearly I'm not still bitter about it. My grandmother may have accidentally flushed her down the toilet.
Hamster Lookout Tower

    • Al - Sammy's albino hamster who impregnated my second hamster, Rosie (named because she was chubby like Rosie O'Donnell), when I decided I wanted to be a hamster breeder. This was followed by a small bout of baby hamster cannibalism...
    • Cinnamon (aka Cinnie) - Kelly's hamster the most beloved of the hamsters. This was probably because she was a genius. She could escape any cage and would always run away to the cabinets under our bathroom sink, which essentially became her vacation home.
    • Jaws - Christian's first animal that was not named Christian. Jaws was named because of his reaction to being grabbed by his squealing five year old owner. Jaws ended up being the gentlest of all our hamster.
Thank you to everyone who helped teach me these life lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment