Thursday, December 20, 2012

Five Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Six Hundred Diapers

If you are familiar with the theme song from Rent, you will understand the title of this blog.  It is a song that questions how you measure a year in your life.  Prior to having children, I probably would have measured my life in paychecks, compliments from my employer, and drunken outings with my friends and husband.

Now that I am a mother of two under the age of two, my life is measured in love...like the song references.  My love is demonstrated through a lot of things (that aren't always glamorous) - sloppy kisses, baths, spit-ups, and time-outs...just to name a few.

I have decided to answer the question, "How do you measure a year in the life?"  Today I made a point to talley the ways I measure my life - in paper towels, diaper changes, bottles, and trips up and down the stairs.  If every day were like today, this would be an accurate measure of a year in my life:

Paper Towels: 2,555 per year
Diaper Changes: 3,650 per year
Bottles: 2,920 per year
Trips up and down the Stairs: 6,935 per year

It's true.  I went up and down the stairs 19 times today - sometimes carrying my 31 pound boy and 16 pound girl at the same time.  Most days I am physically and mentally exhausted from the above stats.  However,  I think being a mother has helped me to measure my life in more important things than income.  Thank you to my babies for making diaper changes and bottles my new currency.  It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.  I'm glad it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment