Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Month

I cannot help but comment on this.  When I had little Ethan, I planned on exclusively breastfeeding for as long as it made sense in my family's life.  I pictured myself sitting peacefully with my baby and feeding him in the rocking chair my mother-in-law had used in her children's rooms.

Unfortunately, little Ethan had other plans.  He would not eat and I watched as my baby turned yellower and yellower from jaundice.  After a few days of battling, my mother bought me a pump and we supplemented with formula at the insistence of our pediatrician.  I stayed up nights crying because I was not able to do something that was supposed to be natural and was sold to me as the ultimate bonding experience between a mother and a baby.  I questioned whether he knew that I was his mother and if it would effect his health going forward.  Every day I tried to feed him "naturally" and finally around 8 weeks, he decided he was ready.  He received mostly breast milk until he was six months old.

Years later, I am still traumatized by the situation and a little angry at people who questioned whether I was doing things correctly.  When I wanted to give up, someone even mentioned that my choice might be a selfish one or the "easy way out".

 
The above picture was taken during a rally to support breastfeeding mothers in Richmond, Virginia.  I think the idea behind this is a good one.  I know that there are a lot of people who respond negatively about breastfeeding and I do not support that (I breastfed both of my children).  However, this is one of the group member's comments on the picture: "the child's immune system is established during breastfeeding--it's practically a sin not to do it".  Honestly, I think it's cruel to suggest that if someone does not breastfeed that it is a "practically a sin".

Anyhow, I just want to encourage everyone to be sensitive to other people's parenting choices.  It seems to me that a lot of the vibe I am getting from some of the pro-breastfeeding camp this month is that their way is the BEST way.  Medically, it is.  However, it's not always possible or the BEST option for some families.  Not to mention, 32 months of formula feeding would produce the same smiling child pictured above.

Some people choose formula.  Some people choose to breastfeed.  Some people choose both.  Some people don't have a choice.  This should not be "The Battle of the Bottle vs. the Boob".  It should be women and families supporting each other, not judging.

On another note, my sister brought it to my attention that people who do not having babies could interpret the term "Bfing" (meaning breastfeeding) the wrong way.  I can see how a Facebook post like "I was up all night 'bfing' and I'm exhausted!" could be misleading...food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Susanne! Insightful post! My name is Heather and I was hoping you could answer my question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com I would greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete