Monday, June 20, 2011

The Rainbow Connection

Dear Daddy, thank you for...

Randomness:
I would say that my family is known for our random sense of humor.  We enjoy teasing each other and making what we consider to be witty comments about everything from dead armadillos to representative Anthony Weiner.  Doesn't every family think a dead armadillo should be sucked up into the underbelly of a car using the power of the air conditioning?  There is nothing better than when my dad makes a random comment at the dinner table and all of us end up in hysterical laughter.  We are very lucky that it happens pretty often!

Scaring my dates:
My dad's goal was to be the biggest pain in the rear end to my boyfriends, but the best father-in-law to my husband.  He greeted my dates by showing off his gun collection.  It was embarrassing at the time, but it served its purpose.  The hazing process made me end up with my husband who respects me and my family.

Letters:
During major events in my life, I have received wonderful letters from my father.  I can barely even write about them without tearing up.  These letters mean more to me than most of the conversations I have had in my life.  When times get tough, I can always read a letter from my dad and feel better.

My Brothers and Sister:
Both my parents did (and are still doing) an amazing job raising us. I can only imagine the mayhem they dealt with after having four kids in five years. When we were little, we didn't always get along.  I am still bitter about my brothers riding their bikes over an intricate chalk house I drew on our back patio. My sister is still scarred from the things I yelled at my brothers after seeing the tire marks. We still argue, but try and remember the lessons our parents taught us. Friends may come and go, but family is forever. I am lucky to have such a wonderful family.

Daddy, thank you for everything.  Thank you for loving me, Mommy, Sammy, Kelly, Christian, and Ethan Samuel.  You are an amazing father.

No comments:

Post a Comment