Monday, August 22, 2011

Hurry Up. Take Your Time.

It has been way too long since I have blogged.  I have been enjoying a family vacation (with the addition of a few friends!).   To sum up my experience, I have decided to share some Dos and Don’ts of Key West, Florida.
Do…
…Wear matching t-shirts.  Key West is the perfect place to fly your freak flag.  People may question why three or eleven of you are wearing matching shirts, but it’s only because they want to join in the fun.  I would recommend walking down Duval Street and causing a ruckus in the shirts.


…Eat!  Key West has some of the most amazing food I have ever eaten.  I would recommend the Lobster Gnocci at the Roof Top Café and the Shrimp and Grits at Blue Heaven.   You might gain five pounds after eating either of these dishes, but it is worth it.
…Go snorkeling at Fort Zachary Taylor Park, but don’t expect to see any fish.
…Randomly invite friends to join you.  You never know when someone might decide to buy a plane ticket.  I told one of my best friends Jenna, that I was in Key West on Monday afternoon.   She arrived at noon on Tuesday.  By 1:30 we were having a drink at Camille’s.  Excellent.
…Impersonate the street performers at Mallory Square.  A well-placed Cat Man impression or an attempt to scare Bush Man is sure to get some laughs.

Don’t…
…Accept jello shots from an attractive waitress.  Chances are, she may want to give you more than a jello shot (for a small fee of course).
…Forget to buckle up the baby in his stroller.  You never know when someone’s pool chlorine may explode.  You may need to make a quick exit from an outdoor restaurant to escape poisonous chlorine gas.  Apparently, it’s not good for you.

…Count calories.  You will be over your daily limit after one breakfast.  Lobster benedict anyone?
…Go to the rest room at Irish Kevin’s.   As soon as you stand up, you become a target.  The live musician there has a whole arsenal of comments to make as you walk by.  If you’re female and over thirty, you’re likely to hear cougar noises coming from his mike as you make your way to the restroom.
…Go to Willie Ts if you’re not a fan of angry girl music.  If you like Alanis Morissette, Janis Joplin, and Melissa Etheridge, this is the place for you!  If you request enough songs, you may get a nickname from the lead singer.  If she refers to you as “Richmond”, she may even give you two sparkly picks she made.

…Stress out.  Key West is a hilarious place full of wonderful people and it somehow manages to bring out the laid back fun in everyone.   I feel lucky that I have gotten to enjoy it with my wonderful family and two of my best friends.

1 comment:

  1. i just want to know if you have made your sparkly guitar picks into earrings yet!

    ReplyDelete