Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Toto, we're not in high school anymore.

Two months ago, I would have considered myself an athletic person.  I'm not sure why - I've never really been someone who goes to the gym.  Honestly, my athletic assessment of myself comes from high school (nine years ago) when I played sports, like 99 percent of the people I know.  Well, I'm not in high school anymore!

My husband, Ethan, and I signed up for a kickball league.  I was a little nervous having given birth four and a half months prior to the league starting.  I figured I would stand out in the field and drink a Nattie...nope.  Little did I know that we would actually be sprinting around a field and have balls kicked at us by a bunch of in-shape guys.  After our first game, I woke up the next morning and dreaded every time I had to take a trip up and down the stairs because my muscles were so sore from running.

I was excited about our second game, but was still a little sore.  It was a good kind of sore that made me feel like I was in shape (I tried not remember that I was sore from sprinting to first base once).  Our team, Sick Burn, was up to kick first.  I was up second and getting pumped to kick the ball as hard as I could.  As the pitcher rolled the ball to me, I remember thinking, "I am going to nail this one".  I don't even remember how far I kicked it because I was blinded by pain.  I took off sprinting to first base and only made it two strides before I turned around limping back to my team.  As I hobbled back, Sick Burn was looking at me and yelling, "Run to first!".  Yeah right.  I couldn't even put weight on my right leg.  It was on fire.  As it turned out, I had a really bad pulled muscle.  I sat on the sideline the rest of the game.  Brian, first up to kick, sat with me for part of the game because he also pulled his leg while kicking the ball and running to first.

To make a long story short, I gimped around for three weeks with an ace bandage on my leg (which looked really good peaking out from under my dress at a baby shower I went to).  Two weeks ago, right as my leg was actually healed, Ethan tore his quad playing kickball.  He is now gimping around the house with an ace bandage looking very black and blue.  Unfortunately, he does not have much time to heal because we just started playing in a social dodge ball league.  I got nailed in the face at our first game.

Note to self: just because you were in shape and athletic in high school does not mean you are in shape and athletic a decade later.

No comments:

Post a Comment