Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How to Spoil a Baby.

Today, Little Ethan and I have been doing battle.  He's winning.

Today started at 5:30 AM, which is very early when your child typically gets up at 6:30 or 7:00.  I pretended like I didn't hear him for 15 minutes and then Big Ethan and I got up.  I got the bottle and he changed the diaper.  Big Ethan must have known what I was in for because he immediately left for work.  After a walk, Little Ethan went down for a brief nap and was up again by 9:00 AM.  At that point, I made the mistake of going to Target. 

Missoni launched their Target line today and the place was filled with unusually well-dressed people scrounging for knit dresses.  For some reason, I thought I could join in on the fun.  See picture below and note the baby in the background:


What a cute grimace!  That was the most well behaved he was during the whole shopping adventure. 

After being distracted by Missoni, I took a few laps around Target, trying to get everything on my list (everything takes you twenty times longer with a crying baby in your cart).    Little Ethan wasn't just crying - I'm pretty sure he was determined to make me look like an inept mother.  He has been sitting up for two months and sitting in a cart for a little longer than that, but today he may as well have been a rag doll.  Every time I took a turn, he flopped to one side of the cart and started crying.  One woman even came up to me and asked if he was learning how to sit. 

About 45 minutes in, I headed to the toy section out of desperation.  I added a new toy to the cart in an effort to distract him (aka bribe him to be good).  To make a long story about a terrible day short, the toy has not helped.  He is now sitting on the floor playing with his new toy while he grunts at me.

I would like to use this post to officially concede.  Little Ethan, you win.  I will do whatever you want to make the crying stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment