Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Not a Reverse Henry the Eighth

On Monday, Sammy, Christian, Kelly, my Dad, Ethan, Little Ethan, and I sat in the sonogram waiting area.  My posse and I stood around entertaining Little Ethan and trying not to take up too much room in the hallway.  I was nervous...if you've ever been pregnant, you know that you get nervous every time before an appointment (I often find myself wondering if the kicks I feel are just my imagination and praying that I will hear the heartbeat as soon as the doctor looks for it).

They called my name and actually pronounced it correctly (typically my name is Susan Wart to strangers)!  Our large group filed into the little dark sonogram room and the technician began to get an overwhelmed look on her face.  She decided it would be best if our guests came in and out of the room in shifts.

Sammy and Kelly took the first shift.  As soon as the sonogram started, we saw our little one wiggling like a maniac (phew!).  The sonogram technician took some measurements and Sammy commented that he was surprised how low the baby was....I bet he was surprised.  I was a little panicked when I had to roll my pants down to my bathing suit line.

As our little guy was screaming in the waiting room, I was thinking, "Little brother or little sister?  Little brother or little sister?"  Ethan wasn't wondering about anything, he even said "Look at my little boy" as soon as he saw the baby on the screen.

We were shocked when the technician said, "This is a little girl".  I must admit, tears streamed down my face.  I had been worrying that I would have the reverse Henry VIII issue and only have boys.  Don't get me wrong, I love my little boy...but there is something nice about having one of your own kind.

Our Little Girl

Kelly, my Dad, and Little Ethan came in for their shift and I told Little Ethan that he was going to have a little sister.  My dad immediately got my mom on speaker phone and asked her if she had all of her pink stuff ready.  She burst in to tears and choked out the words, "Susanne May, you're going to have a daughter".

After all of that, we got to watch our wiggly little girl while the technician took other measurements.  I am pleased to report that everything looked perfect.  We even got to see her nose and mouth...there was no sign of a cleft chin...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment