Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Baby Illness Amateur

I have been very lucky over the past eight months.  We haven't had any sick visits to the doctor.  Unfortunately, he has been in such good health that I have no idea about visits to the pediatrician's office.

Over the weekend, the contents of Little Ethan's diapers were not his norm (I won't get more detailed than that).  I made him a pediatrician appointment for 8:50 on Monday morning.

We arrived at the doctor's office.  Little Ethan looked super cute (wearing a light blue shirt and blue and white check shorts) and I looked bizarre (wet hair, no make-up, and a tight shirt I shouldn't be wearing post-baby).  I walked up to the receptionist, checked us in, and we made our way to the sick waiting room.

I sat with Little Ethan on my lap and thought about how bizarre it was that I was old enough to be sitting there as the parent instead of the child.  I stopped seeing my pediatrician about six years ago.  We shared the sick waiting room with an eleven month old girl (smaller than Little Ethan).  They entertained themselves by grunting back and forth at each other.

"Ethan Wirt" was called and the nurse guided us back to a little room.  As the nurse left the room to get her supplies, she instructed me to take off his outfit and sit him on the table so she could take his temperature and weigh him.  I stripped him down to his diaper and waited for the nurse to return.  She did and explained again that she needed to take his temperature.  I said, "ok" and waited for her to take his temperature.  After a few seconds, she said, "You need to take his diaper off".  I guess the Vaseline on the thermometer should have tipped me off.

He had a low grade fever, 100 degrees, and weighed in at 21 pounds, 3 ounces!  After a bit, the doctor came in and checked his ears...I mean attempted to check his ears.  Apparently, she couldn't see much because of all the ear wax (ewww).  I immediately got nervous because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be cleaning his ears....I hadn't in eight months.  Luckily, the doctor told me that I wasn't supposed to (visit from social services avoided!).

The verdict was in - an ear infection in the left ear!  She wasn't our normal doctor and was surprised that this was his first sick visit.  I'm surprised she didn't already know because of all my awkward questions about medicine and ear infections.  I also commented that I should take a picture of the two of him to commemorate his first ear infection.  She wasn't amused.  She told me to give him Amoxicillin twice a day and left the room.

I had to ask a nurse how to get back out to the main waiting room (the place is a maze).  I went to receptionist to ask for a prescription and check out.  They told me I didn't need to check out and that the prescription had already been sent to the pharmacist.  Oops.

I then had an miscommunication with the pharmacist when she told me the Amoxicillin needed to be mixed.  I said, "Ok, I'll mix it with his food".  She then said that she meant she had to mix it in the back before she gave it to me.

I was happy to get home and get the pink stuff in his mouth.  He seems to be feeling much better today.



Sorry for the long post, but I am sure I will look back at this and laugh at what a novice I was.  Something tells me this is the first of many sick visits!

No comments:

Post a Comment